Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sardonic Son, 16 x 12"

This is where I am right now. I remind myself often that there's so much to learn. Impatience, be gone!

Here's my older son, painted from life. He's not all that lively looking, since I let him watch a movie on the computer while I painted him. What an excellent, conscientious model he was, though. Who knew?! He carefully assumed the same position each time after getting movie snacks. I may ask him to pose again, sans movie, since he was so good, with the hope of achieving the kind of likeness I enjoy each day. The hands are sketchy since it was a great challenge just to get the face as you see it. I see errors in my drawing and that's good.

Here's the question: what do I do with this? Leave it as a learning experience and move onto the next or see if I can lure my model back so I can improve and "finish" it? By the way, when my son saw the painting, he was genuinely amused and laughed at how "sardonic" he looked. Title courtesy of son.

2 comments:

Linda Nickles said...

Love the title! Your son must be a very patient young man to pose for you. My son would never cooperate -- even while watching a movie! This is very nice . . . I like the reds. In response to your question, my vote would be to chalk it up as a learning experience and move on. You may decide to come back to it later with a fresh perspective. Great job!

Lorraine Shirkus said...

I do like the way you painted the face and the softness and folds of the sweater . . . great grays. Also like the vagueness under his right arm.

Your question is one I struggle with all the time. The conclusion I've come to (I think) is that if you feel the painting is unfinished or see areas that can use some brightening or a touch-up, like fleshing out the hands, then do it. I think it depends on how you feel with each individual painting. Not all painting is alla prima. If you wait awhile, it will probably become clear to you what it needs and whether to work more.